The Worst Tantrum in Our House this Week was Mine :(

"I've been walking around all morning for the kids. It is SO the straw that broke the camels back that I just had to walk upstairs for you!" I told him in my loudest voice.

"Oh dear..." I recounted to a friend later as I shared the story, "am I really that tired?" I couldn't believe that I had exploded at my husband over the fact that I walked up the stairs to wake him up so that I could get out the door to teach a parenting class.

What a great parent indeed...modeling yelling and impatience to my kids just because I was overtired and my husband hadn't gotten downstairs by the time I needed to leave. How embarrassing that I missed the mark in such a giant way. Just one more time that I was exceedingly thankful for grace from both God and my husband- though that doesn't give me an excuse to keep acting that way.

What do we do when we are truly that tired though? It's easy for me to look back and laugh at myself and recognize that I certainly don't want to do THAT again. But sometimes when we have little kids and truly feel "on call" 24-7, it is all we can do to not fall over and to keep having the strength to wake up each day and keep giving.

A friend reminded me that we HAVE to lean on God, it's the only solution. It's God's strength, not ours. If God can fill us up to the point of overflow, we will not deplete ourselves to the point of exhaustion (or embarrassing "I can't believe I had to walk up the stairs" explosions). Please, Lord, help me look to  you, and keep my eyes on what you CAN do and not on what I can't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Only Knew the Mountain that Was Moving Before Your Eyes

Hard

How One Day Can Change Everything