Who are your balcony people?

At our wedding, one of the pastors did a beautiful homily about being each other's balcony people, and cheering each other on. As we grow in marriage, this has ebbed and flowed, and I think we are in a season right now where we are doing it well.

As I reflect on my parenting today, I realize that in addition to my spouse, I also have several family members who are balcony people. The affirm, validate, encourage, and motivate me to be better. As I patiently rode out one very long and intense tantrum a few months ago, my younger brother encouraged me later "I couldn't believe you kept your calm. You did a great job" and I was in shock, because I felt like everyone must be thinking I should be doing a better job.

I also have wonderful friends who are balcony people. They've cheered me on through infertility, miscarriage, adoption, failed adoptions, moving, new jobs, illness, and so much more. I am confident that the way I handled each of those situations was dramatically impacted by the fact that they had my back, and that I knew we would walk through this together. One of them is famous for saying "I'm in this with you." I'm so thankful for that.

Let's be balcony people to those around us today. They need us, and we need them. We are all in this together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Only Knew the Mountain that Was Moving Before Your Eyes

Hard

How One Day Can Change Everything