Let's slow this down...

I realized a few years ago that I hurry everywhere. I have a high energy level, I love being productive, and I think I held the core belief, "why only get one thing done in an hour when I could accomplish three?"

While I've learned this can be a tremendous strength, it has a shadow side too. The most obvious place that shows up is when I hurry other people. I remember learning that when our daughter started preschool: rushing there did not help anyone, but building in enough time to take it slow helped the day start out much better.

While she is in the midst of some medical issues right now, her need for us to slow down our pace has shown up big time. The other day her school asked for a "quick transition" at dropoff and we later realized this was not the best strategy for her. She needed a moment to catch her breath, gather her courage, and say her goodbyes from a place of trust and feeling secure, rather than one of frenzy or pushing. We've been able to honor the school's request by helping her understand that once she's inside the building doors, she will need to do a quick "kissing hand" (we love that book and its concept that a parent's love can go with you and stay with you all day), but also empower her and give her some healthy choices within boundaries by teaching her that she can have as much time as she needs sitting outside the building with one of us on the bench. We've had to start our day much earlier so that "as much time as she needs" is possible without her being late, and I am tired. But it is worth it. She is joyful, peaceful, unhurried, cooperative and confident - and I don't think those five things are unrelated or that it's a coincidence that "unhurried" is central.

Where in your life are you hurrying through? How could you "slow this down"? Could it help?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Only Knew the Mountain that Was Moving Before Your Eyes

Hard

How One Day Can Change Everything